Duration: 1 day
This course is intended to provide the knowledge required for seafarers with designated security duties in connection with a Ship Security Plan (SSP) to perform their duties in accordance with the requirements of Chapter XI-2 of SOLAS 74 as amended, the ISPS Code, and section A-VI/6 of the STCW Code, as amended.
Those who successfully complete the course should be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge to undertake the duties assigned under the SSP. This knowledge shall include, but is not limited to:
- knowledge of current security threats and patterns;
- recognition and detection of weapons, dangerous substances and devices;
- recognition, on a non-discriminatory basis, of characteristics and behavioral patterns of persons who are likely to threaten security;
- techniques used to circumvent security measures;
- crowd management and control techniques;
- security related communications;
- knowledge of emergency procedures and contingency plans;
- operation of security equipment and systems;
- testing, calibration and at-sea maintenance of security equipment and systems;
10. inspection, control, and monitoring techniques; and
11. methods of physical searches of persons, personal effects, baggage, cargo, and ship stores.