WMO’s Guidelines on the Role, Operation and Management of the National and Hydrometeorological Services (WMO-No.1112) are now available at http://www.wmo.int/eguides. It is WMO’s first fully-interactive, navigable, user-friendly electronic publication (E-publication), which is regarded as a pilot project for similar publications in the future.
These Guidelines are intended to provide a one-stop, consistent and up-to-date reference resource for everything managers need to know about running a National Meteorological or Hydrometeorological Service (NMS).
The Guidelines should help with many of the challenges that directors and managers of NMSs face, including:
- Ensuring that the NMS is able to meet national needs for meteorological and related data and services;
- Responding to newly identified challenges in a rapidly changing world;
- Clarifying and articulating the mandate of the NMS;
- Formulation and implementation of effective strategic plans;
- Developing strong arguments to obtain sufficient financial, technical and human resources to carry out its mandate;
- Recruitment, retention, motivation and reward systems for staff;
- Maintenance of networks, equipment and other supporting infrastructure;
Provision of quality services to meet varied end end-user needs;
- Building sustainable capacity;
- Management of development projects;
- Keeping abreast of relevant developments in science and technology;
- Appreciation of and ability to meet international obligations, agreed development goals, and other international initiatives.
The Guidelines are intended to be a living document with regular updates. A feed-back from Members on its usefulness and proposal for improvements will be welcome.
A short video introduction to the new guidelines is available at: https://www.wmo.int/pages/prog/dra/eguides/index.php/en/about